May contain affiliate links
Students of all ages sometimes need help learning “times tables” or other math facts. While this can be inconvenient, it’s not at all uncommon, so I urge parents not to worry.
When math facts seem to be taking a while, it’s a good idea to step back and try other ways to approach it before moving on. Since all children are unique, finding the right system could take a couple of tries…but the facts will come (take heart, eventually…) either thru learning, rote memorization, some other way that makes sense to the student, or all of the above.
Here’s a short list of products, printables and services to try:
- a basic “times table” you can print from your desk top (see photo of my desktop, above, for examples)
- Times Tales book and/or DVD system, purchase required, free sample download
- Learn Math Fast system teaching basic math facts, counting money; free online samples and placement tests
- MobyMax free and subscription based math practice online for grades K-8
- Xtramath free practice in basic facts, requires a login; resources for students, parents and teachers
- Fun4TheBrain’s Alien Munchtime Game Free online game for younger students, olders may enjoy, too
- Master Math free middle school math instruction using videos, worksheets and self-grading quizzes
- Multiplication dot com free practice with math facts, requires a log in, resources for students, parents and teachers
- Instructables free instructions for learning times tables using fingers and hands
- Quick Study Laminated Guide quick reference sheet available for purchase
- Multiplication Wrap Ups hand-held learning tool available for purchase
- Times Tables the Fun Way book of stories and rhymes
- Multiplication War card game available for purchase
- Multiplication Rap CD available for purchase
- Schoolhouse Rock videos found free on Youtube
For math facts, there’s almost always a method, tool, or product that resonates with each unique student. For us, homemade games, visuals, rhymes, and all kinds of silliness worked well, too!
If you’ve had success with a method not listed here, please leave a COMMENT so my readers can give it a try.
To your success,
Dr. Marie-Claire Moreau is a college professor who traded in her tenure to become a homeschool mom 20+ years ago. A homeschooling pioneer and the founder of many groups and organizations, she works to advance home education, and is an outspoken supporter of education reform coast to coast. Her book, Suddenly Homeschooling: A Quick Start Guide to Legally Homeschool in Two Weeks, is industry-acclaimed as it illustrates how homeschooling can rescue children and families from the public school system, and how anyone can begin homeschooling within a limited time-frame, with no teaching background whatsoever. A writer, a homeschool leader, and a women’s life coach, Marie-Claire mentors in a variety of areas that impact health, education and lifestyle. A conference speaker, she has appeared at FPEA, H.E.R.I., Home Education Council of America, The Luminous Mind, Vintage Homeschool Moms, iHomeschool Network, and many other events. Her articles have appeared in and on Holistic Parenting, CONNECT,Homefires, Homemaking Cottage, Kiwi, Circle of Moms, and hundreds of sites and blogs nationwide. Marie-Claire can be reached at email@example.com.
Leave a Reply